Thursday, May 3, 2007

Samadhi is the matter of old people only

When the old people come to stay in the Pagoda for 'Thveu Thor', I though they learn and apply praying. Later on when people said they come to 'Samnak Thor' I though they may come for meditate though I have no notion what mediation or Samadhi is. Then I learn the word 'Thveu Kammathan' I though it must be another degree of meditation. Up to know, I still don't know what each jargon exactly means, although I was a pagoda boy who has good education from the public school.

A friend of mine confirms me that Samdhi is something that for forbidden to tell kids. His statement should be true as I never know anyone tell us about Samadhi and none of the pagoda boy talk about it as well. I know something about it because her parents assigned him to assist old people when they were going to take refuse in the pagoda. And he told me a scary story 'Ta Pen rot choal toub' (Grandpa Pen run away from his Samadhi hut.)

What I know about 'Thvey Thor, Samnak Thor, Thveu Kammathan" are all the business of old people who begin to renounce from this life and prepare for the future life. Nothing the young should know about it. On the way of his and her renouncement, he/she tried to separate him/herself as much as possible from household daily life. They will not work to earn living any more, they depend on the supply from children or other goodwill people, they maintain 'five, eight or ten Seila' in accordance to the Buddhist teaching. It seems to me that they learn to die step by step so that they can get more happiness in the future life. I feel sad of Saruon, a little girl who was prevented form touching her grandpa while he came home from pagoda for supply. This is the story of 'Thgnay Kamsot Robos Komari Nuon Pel Ta Men Mork Phtas' ('Little Nuon's Sad Day When Grandpa Men Visited Home)

In sum, Samadhi is a secrecy particularly to young people. In addition, it is a matter for the old people and the young should not bother with it. So it belongs to a specific group of people who prepare to leave this world. The young who are curious about it would commit sin.

No comments: