Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Buddhism - Three Dimensions 2/6

I thank you for your interest in Buddhism and I do admire your substantial knowledge of the matter far beyond the general Khmer public. I prepare to post my response to you in CAMPRO, but I withdraw it back over the concerns that some people may feel that I go off line. Anyway, I repeat again, don't believe too much of what I have said here. I am also a learner and not sure myself if I know the matter clearly. Please enjoy my response below:


You asked 'What is the difference between Panna (Panha- in Khmer sound), Samadhi and Vipassana." My understanding is different from the order you put these words in the question. I know only "Sila, Samadhi and Panha" (please allow me to write in Khmer sound). The three elements are in that order of sequence. Sila is the pre-condition before people can perform Samadhi. And then, Samadhi helps develop Panha. Panha that is developed from Samadhi is the highest one as it can reach the enlightenment. It is called Bhavana Maya Panha. Other two levels of Panha cannot reach the enlightenment: Sutta Maya Panha (from learning) and Chenta Maya Panha (from the ability to create something new by deriving from your Sutta Maya Panha). These concepts are explained in the course I learnt. I do not invent it.


Samadhi represents either Samadhi Kamathan or the Samadhi stage. The first one is the action to perform Samadhi and the second one is the stage of deep concentration reached during the meditation performance. At the Samadhi stage, the performer can temporary disconnect him/herself from the outside world including his/her own body. This may call Nirvana as described in your paper.

Vipassana is a specific Samadhi Kamathan developed by Gautama, the Buddha. There are over 200 kinds of meditations (Samadhi Kamathan), in which Vipassana is one of them. Vipassana (vi = special, great, high; + passana = see) means simply "see it objectively as it is." So, Vipasana Kamathan and Vipassana Samadhi kamanathan all refer to Gautama style of meditation performance. It is known as the shortest way or the direct route towards the enlightenment.

Before closing, just share with you for joking but real. You perhaps know that sexual intercourse is also a kind of meditation. This concept is widely objected, criticized, blamed by everyone. This is perhaps similar to your story 'fish cannot accept that there is land - the world is only water." But consider why there is famous story about Bhrama and Omar Pakdivathei. Generally, people rarely experience a true sex, except the pleasure sex. Even though, one however agrees that at the peak excitement, we temporarily disconnect from mind. It finally align with the purpose of Samadhi which is to go beyond mind.

Please feel free to provide your feedback to that response. I want to learn more from you.

No comments: