Monday, August 30, 2010

Buddhism - Three Dimensions - Chan Comment 2/3

Thank you very much for your comment. This is the true input to me. It is worth million times more than praise that people often compliment the contributor of any services.

First, your explanation about moha helps reconcile the gap of my knowledge between Khmer and English sources. This is a new insight similar to my struggle to understand 'neam-rub' (I'll share this with you below). You make very concise distinction between moha, reality and truth. As a result, I realize the difference between tathapheap and sachapheap that I was confused. If you have more times, kindly help with the difference between moha and meayea as the latter can also refer to illusion.

This is the real benefit of being CAMPRO member. I also learn from Leang, the difference between nipean and pari-nipean. He also explain to me about phevanea and Tantric Buddhism. Particularly, his explanation of pheavanea (perfection) helps me understand better about pheavanea maya panha. I can related it to 'perfect intelligence' or 'wisdom'. I also learnt from Chanroeun about "borom-sok" that equals to bliss in English. I am still finding the good Khmer word for 'spirituality' as 'cheto-niyum' does not sound great enough to spirituality itself. Appreciate if you can suggest a word for it.

Back to 'neam-rub', when I learnt from the Khmer source, I know 'neam' will not means 'name' but unclear what is its real meaning. When learnt from the English source about 'mid-matter', I don't understand what does 'matter' mean. Until I put them together, then I know it is 'mind and body'. This should be simple for many people but not me unfortunately.

Second, your feedback on my recent discussion is valuable as it guides me with steps going forward before I can share my view with the general public. This includes (i) explain the meaning of the word in Pali or Sanskrit; (ii) be more specific about each dimension (philosophical, religious, spiritual) by demystify/decode them briefly, (iv) re-write and put the ideas in order, (v) provide example, and (vi) provide sources and references.
As mentioned at the beginning of my discussion, this is the first time that I try to breakdown Buddhism in three different dimensions. I don't know yet if I could find any references that support this idea. I am interested in that breakdown as so far there are too much confusion if people put everything in Buddhism without knowing the different dimensions of it. With the suggested breakdown, a friend of mine who is an advanced VM practitioner and well-developed in spirituality does not agree with me on separating religion from spirituality. In his response, he hides his disagreement in a very polite way as the following:

"..., I see that there are two kinds of religion : expression religion, and experience religion. In Cambodia the practice of Buddhism is in the form of expression (We fight other who do not have the same views, we continue to fight each other, to separate from each other, we are only staying on the level of mind of brain , of memory ) . The real religion is the experience one, through which as you say, it leads the practitioner to the liberation from suffering of life, to the peace, to the well being, to the joy and happiness of everyone and the family and the nation as a whole. Vipassana Meditation is the manifestation of the real religion." (MAO Chan Samnom)

Chanthy, it is very difficult for me to find help and support when I am searching for rooms for improvement. I find you as a true and sincere partner - please keep sharing. Again thank you.

No comments: